Applying from Outside Japan【Kobe Design University Graduate School 2017 Fall Semester Admission Information for International Students from Exchange Partner and Cumulus Member Institutions Applying from Outside Japan】クムルス連携校へ向けた入試要項
Message from the President
Prof. Takahito Saiki, President, Kobe Design University
Kobe Design University Graduate School is one of the few graduate schools in Japan to provide comprehensive education and research in design and art. Our graduate students not only receive instruction in their specialized programs of choice, but also study the design theories that form the backbone of academic activities, as well as state-of-the-art science and technology.
“Arts and design”is an area of study aimed at developing advanced-level expertise demanded by the times and society, creative thinking, a flexible imagination, and an unconventional, yet solid ability to express thoughts and ideas, throughresearchin arts and culturethat have formedpart of human history, and academic activities related to arts and design using science and technology.
From its establishment in 1993 to the end of March 2017, Kobe Design University Graduate School has awarded the Master of Arts and Design degree to 492 students and the Doctor of Arts and Design degree to 58 students. Someofthem have then gone on to advance their careers at corporations, and research and educational institutions inside and outside Japan, and othershave achieved remarkable successthat includeswinning prizes in various competitions and theExcellent Paper Award from theSociety for Design and Art Fusing with Science and Technology.
The Graduate School currently has international students from a range ofcountries,including China, South Korea, Iran, India, Tunisia, Bosnia, Myanmar,the Dominican Republic, Portugal, Argentina, Poland, Lebanon, Russia, Nepal, Ireland, Venezuela, Brazil and Thailand. Exposure to different cultures and values encourages students to produce diverse ideasfordesigns.
I sincerely hope that each of you will experience a fruitfuland rewarding time at this innovative and unique graduate school.
The Integrated Arts and Design Division(master’s degree course)is designed to educatestudents to behighly creative researchers as well asversatiledesigners and artists with advanced professional knowledge, abilities and skills who can devisepractical strategies to meet today’s diversifyingand complex environmental and systemic needs by enabling them to engage in specialized research in arts and design and helping them towards a deep understanding of arts and designtheories.
More advanced than the above master’s degree course,the Arts and Design Division (doctoral degree course) is designed to educatestudents to beintellectual experts capable of supporting a knowledge-based society throughtheir diverse abilitiesfounded on arts and design. At the same time, the Arts and Design Division aims to educatestudents to beinnovative researcherswith excellent R&D skills as well as educators equipped with solid teaching and research skills by enabling them to engagein academic activities related to arts and design.
Number of Places
|Master’s||Integrated Arts and Design||International student||Up to 10 students|
* Applicants must contact their preferred research supervisor through the Graduate School AdmissionsOffice and obtain their informal consent to receive research supervision before submitting their applications.
* All classes are offered in Japanese only.
Application Deadline, Selection Date, Notification of Results, etc.
|Application period||June 5 (Mon) – 15 (Thu), 2017(required documentation must be postmarked by the deadline)|
|Selection date||July 11 (Tue), 2017|
|Notification of results||July 14 (Fri), 2017|
|Enrollment procedure period||July 15 (Sat) – July 28 (Fri), 2017(required documentation must be postmarked by the deadline)|
|Withdrawal notification deadline||September 13 (Wed), 2017|
|Documentary screening||Reserach plan and portfolio of works to be examined for screening ※ The above documents must be prepared in Japanese in principle,but can be prepared in English.|
* Applicants will be screened for admission on the basis of their submitted documents. Therefore, they do not need to visit Japan to take the entrance exam.
1.Applicants who are aged 22 or over, and hold a bachelor’s degree from one of the exchange partner institutions listed below or Cumulus member institutions, or those who areexpected to obtain a bachelor’s degree from one of the exchange partner/Cumulus member institutions by Tuesday, September 19, 2017
- Exchange Partner Institutions
|Beijing Institute of Technology||Kunsthochschule Berlin-Weißensee|
|Dongseo University||Université de Montréal|
|National Yunlin University of Science & Technology||University of Canberra|
|National Taiwan University of Arts||Aalto University|
|National University of Kaohsiung||FH JOANNEUM Gesellschaft mbH University of Applied Sciences|
|Institut Teknologi Bandung|
- Cumulus (International Association of Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media) Member Institutions
* Please refer to http://www.cumulusassociation.org/members/full-members for a list of member institutions.
Applicants who have attained level N2 or higher in the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test(JLPT)administered by the Japan Foundation and Japan Educational Exchanges and Services
The JLPTis usually held on Sundaysin early July and December.
* For more information, please visit the JLPTwebsite: http://www.jlpt.jp/e/index.html
Applicants whoresideoutside Japan at the time of application but who can expect to obtain, as a rule,the resident status of “Student” under the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act of Japan onceadmitted to the Graduate School
(All documents must be in black ink or black ballpoint pen. Please do not use an erasable ballpoint pen.)
- Completed application form
- Research plan
- Statement of reason(s) for selecting your preferred research supervisor
- Certificate of graduation (or prospect of graduation) from your university
- Official transcript (undergraduate)
- Two letters of recommendation: one from your university’s president, dean or equivalent, and one from your direct academic supervisor
- Materials showing past research work, such as a portfolio of works or research papers (please attach abstracts in Japanese)
- Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) Certificate of Result and Scores
- Photocopy of passport (all pages including blank pages)
- Health certificate
As a rule, all application materials must be prepared in Japanese.
For certificates and other documents in languages other than Japanese and English, please attach a Japanese translation certified by a Japanese language educational institution or public organizations such as an embassy.
* Please download the relevant formats forapplication materials1-3 and 6 from the Kobe Design University Graduate Schoolwebsite: http://english.kobe-du.ac.jp/admissions/semester-admission/
* If incomplete application materialsare received, theapplication mightnot be accepted. Please make surethat your application materialsare complete and accurate before submitting them.
How to Submit Your Application
Please send the above application materials by EMS (Express Mail Service) or equivalent to the following address.(Application materials must be postmarked on or before June 15, 2017.)As a rule, submitted documents will not be returned.
【Where to submit】
Kobe Design University Graduate School Admissions Office
8-1-1 Gakuennishi-machi, Nishi-ku, Kobe City, Hyogo Prefecture 651-2196Japan
Notification of Results and Enrollment Procedure
1.Results will be notified to applicants by email and postal mail. The Graduate School cannot respond to inquiries by any other means including telephone.
2.Successful applicants are required to pay half the entrancefee (180,000 yen) and submit enrollment documents within the prescribed enrollment period.(Further details will be notified to successful applicants.)
3.The first payment for the fall semester is due by Thursday, September 14, 2017. Please pay tremaining half of the entrancefee (180,000 yen), the tuition and equipment & laboratory fees(130,000 yen + 70,000 yen = 200,000 yen) and the Japanese language tuition fee (150,000yen).
4.Successful applicants are required to submit, within the prescribed enrollment period, proof of their ability to finance their living and educational expenses while studying in Japan, such as a certified copy oftheir financial guarantor’s bank statement, certificate of employment and tax statement. Please prepare these documents in good time, since the enrollment period is short.
5. Successful applicants who fail to complete, for whatever reason, the required enrollment procedure within the prescribed enrollment periodwill be denied admission.
6.The entrancefee is non-refundable.
Tuition and Other Fees by Academic Year
|Item||Due||Entrance fee||Tuition||Equipment & laboratory fee||Japanese language tuition||Total|
|Fall semester 1st payment||Sep. 14||180,000||130,000||70,000||150,000||530,000|
|Fall semester 2nd payment||Jan. 20||—||130,000||70,000||—||200,000|
|2018||Spring semester 1st payment||Apr. 20||—||130,000||70,000||—||200,000|
|Spring semester 2nd payment||Jul. 20||—||130,000||70,000||—||200,000|
|Fall semester 1st payment||Oct. 20||—||130,000||70,000||—||200,000|
|Fall semester 2nd payment||Jan. 22||—||130,000||70,000||—||200,000|
|2019||Spring semester 1st payment||Apr. 20||—||130,000||70,000||—||200,000|
|Spring semester 2nd payment||Jul. 20||—||130,000||70,000||—||200,000|
|Fall semester 1st payment||Oct. 22||—||130,000||70,000||—||200,000|
|Fall semester 2nd payment||Jan. 21||—||130,000||70,000||—||200,000|
* Tuition and equipment & laboratory feesfor a year are paid in four installments.
* A number of scholarships offered by Kobe Design University or by external organizations are opento application by international students.
* Kobe Design Universityoffers a 50 percent tuition fee discount (325,000 yen) for2nd-year graduate students who are recognized to have achieved an excellent academic performance in the first year. For international graduate students (excluding Japanese government-sponsored scholarship recipients)from Exchange Partner/Cumulus Member Institutions, who are required to enroll for two years and six months, a tuition fee discount of 325,000 yen is granted in the final year based on their academic performance during the first one year and six months. For more information, please contact the Graduate School Admissions Office.
Course Duration (September 2017 to March 2020)
September 20, 2017 at Kobe Design University.7/7
Educational and Research Goals
The Graduate School educates students to be highly creative researchers by enabling themto engagein specialized research in design and helping them to form a deeperunderstanding of design theories. The Graduate Schoolalso provides training for students to become versatile designers equipped with knowledge, abilities and skills that can help them develop practical strategies to meet today’s diversifying environmental and systemic needs.
The discipline of “arts and design” is constantly evolvingand developingin pace with society. Kobe Design University Graduate School offers an excellent curriculum and practical program that help students explore the principles, ideas and methods of design that can address the latest themes and issues presented by today’s society.
Educational and Research Structure
Under the guidance of 55 selected faculty members from various departments of Kobe Design University, graduate students engage in interdisciplinary and integrated studies of the theories and methods of artsand design. Such studies provide them with a foundation for further specialized research in art and design practices.
The discipline of “arts and design” covers a vast area. Students are therefore admitted from a diverse range of academic backgrounds that include but are not limited to art and engineering. The Graduate School also welcomes older adult students and international students.
Prospective students select the faculty member they wish to be their research or project supervisor.Students complete their master’s thesis, project work, or doctoral thesis (Arts and DesignDivision) under the specialized guidance of the appointed instructor. Students may also choose to receive supervision from instructors from more than one area of specialization.
(Please download documents from the link below.)
後期募集要項（英文） (About : ENGLISH)
後期研究計画書 (Research Plan)
後期指導教員志望理由書(Application form for research supervisor)